Polk Street School
Polk Street History
- Polk Street School was constructed in 1942.
- Ground was broken on November 21st, 1941, just two weeks before the start of World War II.
- Had the board of education waited until the start of World War II, construction would have been delayed until 1947 due to the prohibition of civilian construction in wartime.
- In June of 1992, Polk Street School held their 50th Birthday! A capsule was buried with many items. The capsule will be opened in 2042, the 100th Birthday of Polk Street School.
- When the original building was constructed there was a "Bicycle Room" in the basement for students to put their bikes during the school day.
- Students would visit the dentist at school. The original dentist cabinet is still at Polk Street.
- In the past, Polk Street had a "Train Room" where students would learn about the transit system.
This photograph shows the sixth-grade class of Mr. Finger at Polk Street School in 1960.